By the mid-2010s, rich media had become a standard in digital advertising. With far better click-through rates than conventional alternatives like ordinary banner advertisements, it is now one of the most effective formats available. Knowing what sets rich media advertising apart from other ad types is the greatest approach to comprehending why they are so effective.
What a Rich Media Ad Is.
A digital advertising that combines multimedia components and interactive aspects is called a rich media ad. Rich media advertisements are dynamic and often include sophisticated elements including animated graphics, music, and video. They could also include more conventional elements like text and static graphics.
Multiple layers of material may be included in a single rich media ad thanks to modern technologies like HTML5. For instance, streaming music or video may be available in a rich media advertisement from today.
Rich Media Ad Formats
These days, the three most common forms for rich media advertising are in-page, in-stream, and out-of-page.
In-page rich media advertisements show up on regular web pages. Ad creatives may be shown in the spaces between website content or in the side margins of the page. Rich media adverts inside pages usually don't stay on the screen as you scroll up or down.
Typically, video advertising that play as a consumer consumes video content are known as in-stream rich media commercials. Depending on when they start to play, in-stream rich media advertising are separated into three subcategories: pre-roll, which appears before the video content begins, mid-roll, which interrupts the material in the middle, and post-roll, which plays after the video content concludes.
Rich media advertisements that are shown outside of a website to users are known as out-of-page rich media advertising. (e.g., pop-ups, pop-unders). The most obvious kind of rich media advertising are out-of-page ones, but they also interfere with the user's experience the most, therefore use them carefully.
Typical Rich Media Advertising Types
- There are many different kinds of rich media advertisements, and each one is appropriate for a certain form of digital property, such as mobile apps, interactive media, video content, and traditional websites. These are a few of the most typical kinds.
- Rich media banner advertisements represent a sophisticated iteration of the conventional static banner ad. They work well for presenting animated ad creatives on regular web pages and are easy to install.
- Expanding advertisements: Also referred to as expandable ads, expanding ads show a portion of a message in a smaller window and encourage viewers to click or engage with the ad to see the whole message or learn more. While expanding ads work well on desktop and mobile platforms alike, their implementation on the latter demands careful optimization because of the smaller screen size.
- Interstitials: An interstitial ad uses the whole amount of screen real estate to show an advertisement creative, much like a full-screen pop-up. While interstitials are seldom seen on desktop computers, they are often used in mobile apps, such games.
- ads with multi-directional expansion (MDE): An expanding ad that may spread in several directions is known as a multi-directional expanding ad. The location of an MDE advertisement on the page determines how it grows; for instance, if it is placed on the right side of the page, it may extend to the left. The identical advertisement will "know" to extend to the left if it is placed on the right side as opposed to the left.
- Google Display Network (GDN): debuted the lightbox ad style in 2013. This enhanced form of an expanding advertisement shows a banner that the user may click, touch, or hover their mouse pointer over (only on desktops) to make it grow. The primary material of the advertisement is pushed into the background as it is extended, appearing grayed out and muted, making the ad stand out more.
Relevant reading: The Top 10 Mobile Ad Sizes
- Pushdown advertisements: These might be thought of as a substitute for growing advertisements. A pushdown ad, as contrast to a normal expanding creative, only moves the website content down the page rather than covering it. Pushdown advertisements are thus usually positioned at the top of the page.
- Slider ads: A slider ad is a kind of creative that shows an image or video in the corner of the screen. The slider ad, in contrast to standard banner advertising, is designed to stay in the corner and follow the user as they scroll up and down.
- Video advertisements: As a specific ad type, video commercials are usually shown in an in-stream manner over video content, while most rich media ads may display video creatives as well. A typical instance of this kind of advertisement is when creatives overlay a YouTube video.
- Video Played-Ad Interface Definition (VPAID) advertisements play in-stream and resemble regular video advertisements. VPAID advertisements, on the other hand, usually play over conventional video-based content on integrated video players placed on other websites, as opposed to being played on specific video-sharing platforms.
Rich media advertisement formats and suitable kinds table
Five Important Ways That Rich Media and Conventional Display Ad Formats Differ
One of the most often used ad formats in the current digital advertising environment is rich media advertising. Compared to traditional display advertisements, they provide publishers, owners of digital properties, and advertisers with a host of advantages and opportunities. The top five distinctions between rich media advertisements and regular display advertising are shown below.
1. Greater Space for Originality
Standard display advertising seldom surpass a total file size of 250 kilobytes, in accordance with IAB guidelines. Although these advertising' lightweight design contributes to faster page loads, their large file sizes severely restrict the functionality of traditional display ads.
The file size restriction for rich media advertisements is much larger. A rich media ad creative's maximum file size, according to Google, is 2.2 gigabytes, which is almost nine times larger than a display ad's 250 kb limit.
With respect to display advertisements, the larger file size restriction allows ad creative producers and advertisers more leeway to create distinctive and captivating experiences. More intricate ad creatives may be produced because of the greater limit, which also permits the operation of several files and components.
2. Engagement and Interactivity
Publishers and marketers may serve advertisements using rich media ads because they provide an essential feature that no other format does: interaction.
Mobile interstitials, particularly those seen on mobile games and other very involved mobile applications, are a common form of rich media advertisements that use interaction. A lot of interactive interstitials let viewers try out brief demos or samples of the games or apps that are advertised. This feature, which enables customers to "try it before you buy it," is essential for increasing engagement.
The likelihood of a click-through or conversion may be greatly increased by using an interactive advertisement to convert viewers who might otherwise have low intent into high intent ones.
3. Greater Room for Logos
Conventional display advertisements are notorious for their constraints: in addition to having a maximum ad size restricted to form factors that are modest, they also have file format limits. For example, a traditional display ad would be either a static picture in.jpg or.gif format or static text in.html format.
Rich media advertising, on the other hand, operate with almost any multimedia file type, however the majority of ad networks allow for big maximum display sizes. For instance, rich media creatives up to 4096 × 4096 pixels are supported by Google.
Because of the wide display area and ease of integration with almost any multimedia format, marketers are able to design intricate and one-of-a-kind branding experiences. To hold the attention of the spectator and highlight product branding, a rich media advertisement may make use of dropdown menus, interactive components like buttons and clickables, expansion and retraction, audio features, or even host whole miniature games.
4. Improved Click-Through Rates and Increased Ad Visibility
Video material is more effective at holding viewers' attention than text or still images, according to several studies. Video material is processed by human brains more rapidly, which leads to better rates of knowledge retention.
These statistics help to explain the emergence of sites for sharing and streaming videos, but they also show why rich media advertisements that make use of audio and video components have become commonplace.
Rich media advertisements have the advantage of what the industry refers to as better recall values: viewers are more likely to notice and interact with them over extended periods of time. As a consequence, viewers engage with these advertisements more, which greatly increases click-through rates (CTR). Rich media formats provide 267% greater click-through rate (CTR) than regular banner advertising, according to a research conducted by Adform.
5. Offers Additional Info and Perspectives
Creating rich media ad creatives also opens up a plethora of other channels for data collection and analysis for marketers and creative creators.
Rich media advertisements with video content, for instance, may monitor the quantity of views, the proportion of viewers who watched the whole advertisement, and the count of users who manually closed the advertisement, all of which are accompanied by an average time stamp.
The extra information might provide priceless insights into how well your advertising strategies are doing. It is also a more important tool for ad optimization since it offers more audience behavior data than display advertising can measure.
Why Are Rich Media Ads Superior to Other Types of Ads?
Viewers may get a more intricate and interesting advertising experience with rich media advertisements. Dynamic multimedia material and interaction may be fully used by a well-crafted rich media advertisement to draw in viewers, increase engagement, and increase conversion rates.
Rich media advertisements are preferred over other formats primarily because they can do significantly more than a traditional display ad, which usually merely reroutes users to the advertiser's website. Nearly any kind of dynamic experience may be created in a rich media advertisement with the appropriate developers.
Rich media advertisements that are based on videos, for instance, work with a whole analytics package. Interactive advertisements, such those with individually clickable product descriptions, might provide information to pique the attention of the spectator. Certain instances, like advertisements for mobile games, are even playable and entertaining on their own.
Rich Media Ads and Formats: Advantages and Benefits for Advertisers
Rich media advertisements provide several advantages and benefits to advertisers. Here are the main advantages rich media advertisements have over more conventional ad formats if you are a marketer thinking about using them in your next campaign.
Viewers focus more intently. The majority of rich media ad formats are designed to grab the viewer's attention and make sure they see and interact with the creative. Pushdown, expanding, and video advertising are some of the best formats for drawing in viewers.
Increased engagement and improved brand recognition. Rich media advertisements with good design are more likely to elicit responses from viewers, particularly if they include interactive material. Additionally, they are easier to recall and stick in the minds of viewers longer, which increases brand recognition.
increased conversion and click-through rates. An advertisement's main goal is to persuade the audience to purchase or convert. More viewers will click through from rich media advertising to the advertiser's website, increasing conversion rates.
Get in Touch
enhanced analytics. Compared to typical display advertisements, rich media ads have the ability to monitor a considerably greater number of analytics data points, giving advertisers more information to tweak and improve their campaigns.
improved user experience with thoughtful design. An advertiser may get several advantages from a standard rich media ad, including increased recall value, increased effectiveness, and more data and insights. The best-performing are thoughtfully created to respect the user's experience and make sure that it doesn't obstruct or interfere with accessing the primary content of the website or app. An improved user experience raises the possibility that viewers will have a favorable impression of the advertisement, increasing the efficacy of the advertising campaign.
Ads with Rich Media Drawbacks
Even though rich media advertisements are already commonplace, traditional ad forms have not completely been supplanted by them. To optimize their efficacy, advertisers need to be fully aware of the possible disadvantages of adopting rich media advertisements.
Ads on rich media are more intricate. Rich media advertisements have a lot more components and aspects by nature than static advertising, and each one has to function as intended to support the ad creative. To guarantee proper functionality, developing a high-performance rich media advertisement need additional quality assurance.
The creation of rich media commercials takes longer. Compared to standard static display advertisements, dynamic and interactive content demands longer creation durations and a wider variety of specialized talents. For the most part, these advertisements also need to be tested and optimized further. For example, video advertisements need employees with expertise in video editing, whereas interactive advertisements need more intricate programming.
Rich media advertisements are more expensive. The development periods and more complexity result in a much greater investment cost. Advertisers must carefully control their ad budget even if adopting rich media advertisements has several benefits and a large potential return on investment.
Use CodeFuel to Increase Revenue from Any App, Website, or Digital Asset More Effectively
Managing advertising campaigns and producing captivating ad creatives are an advertiser's primary duties. Rich media advertisements are perfect for maintaining the highest possible user engagement rates and optimizing the efficacy of your campaigns.
However, the proper tools and expertise are needed to create and optimize rich media commercials. In this situation, CodeFuel is useful. To get the most out of your digital property, our team of professionals in digital advertising can assist you in developing, managing, and optimizing rich media ad campaigns. Start using CodeFuel right now.